Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A Private Park? You must be joking!

My office is located at East 23rd Street in New York so I rarely think of my lunch time as a break. I walk out of the intimidating skyscraper and here I am again, surrounded by 20 even more intimidating skyscrapers. I need to make a fast decision where and what to eat, and calculate how much time I have left. Today, in the middle of that hassle, with a sandwich in my hand, I discovered an oasis.
The quiet park at Lexington Avenue looked like the perfect place for my lunch break. From across the street I saw a dark green fence, wooden benches, and jumping squirrels, enjoying the warm weather. "From now on I am having my lunch here," I thought to myself cheerfully. The strange thing was that I couldn't find its entrance. "Okay, there are people inside, so they must have entered somehow," I tried to unravel the mystery. Two of the doors that I reached were locked, and I continued circling around my quiet oasis. "Excuse me, where is the entrance to the park," I finally decided to ask a middle-aged man with grey hair and sunglasses, who was also looking at the park with a confused expression.
"This is it but it's locked. It is a private park - it belongs to the people who live here," he pointed to the buildings around. "Only they have keys for it. That's how it is today," he laughed.
I couldn't believe my ears. A private park?
"Now where am I going to have my lunch break," I asked myself and joined the other people sitting on the outside part of the dark green fence of the Lexington Avenue oasis.

2 comments:

roxx said...

Join the club. I avoid having real lunch breaks at work. My colleagues usually don't either. They grab food and eat at their desk around the same time every day. I find it calming rather than repetitive or irritating to be enveloped with tasks at your own, tidy working place. Having lunch should not take any more effort than scratching your nose or writing an email to a stranger half a world away. It takes the stress away from trying to find a nice place to sit down and eat (downtown!) only to find out you've been shut out.

Ahu said...

Welcome to New York's very own Gramercy Park! The word on the street is that soon the surrounding residents will have to give up their keys to this private oasis as the park will be open to public.