Sunday, January 6, 2008

Moving Out, Moving In

My eyes slowly investigated the old two-storey house at 747 Crown Heights, NY. This is where I am going to live for the next two weeks. I don't know the roommates, I don't know the neighborhood, I don't know what I am going to do.
"Think of it as an adventure," I tell myself.
I step in and try to unlock the door. Failure. I think the woman, who is renting me the room and who left for Argentina, lied to me and gave me the wrong key. It makes sense - I already paid her. The door is finally unlocked and I sigh with relief.
"I wonder what's next," I tell myself.
What's next is the absurdity of the room, in which I am going to live. I know I saw it before but somehow it looked different. Or at that time I had convinced myself that the cheap price and the short time period justified the living conditions.
"Well, it doesn't matter any more, does it," I tell myself.
Then, I try to drag my bright red suitcase Grand in the room but there is not enough space.
The room is with the size of a Camel cigarette box just without its soothing beige nuances. I laugh - it is like a funny sit-com scene.
"This could only happen in a movie," I tell myself.
There is a bunk bed, a shelf heavily packed with big Economics textbooks, and more books, and more books - all staring at me threateningly to remind me I know nothing about economics. I don't even need to turn around to see the other part of the room - it is a desk with an ancient Visual Sensations desktop and a closet behind it. The only way you can sit in front of the computer is to push your chair a bit into the closet. When someone enters the room (and the carpet doesn't get stuck at the process) he/she will see your arms, and feet, and maybe your nose. But half of your body will be actually in the closet. So this is how I blog right now.
"Two weeks," I tell myself. "Just two weeks"

1 comment:

roxx said...

We all make sacrifices, but disappointments are the worst kind of surprise. Oh, and nobody knows anything about economics, it's all in the way you trick people into believing you do. I need to polish my acting skills, because honesty is not helping me become a better economist, I mean, illusionist.