Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Salt it before you taste it?

In Russia, people insist on having their three-meal courses consisting of a soup, a main dish and a dessert. As soon as we received our soups in the Smolny school cafeteria, I would reach for the pepper and my Czech friend would reach for the salt. It was a habit, a mechanical action that came before we had gotten anywhere near touching the spoon. "You are being prejudiced," accused us laughingly our American friend sitting at the other end of the table.


We were being prejudiced against the soup. We hadn't tried it but we already knew it was lacking something. You might laugh over this incident but I took it very seriously and applied it to life, in general. If one salts a dish before tasting it, then what prevents one from judging a person without knowing him/her?

The principle behind this practice of adding salt and pepper to a meal was important. I admit that, even though I try to be as open-minded as possible, I do judge people prematurely. I still approach many life situations with preconceived notions. But as much as I want to taste the soup before I put pepper in it, I know it can always use some more.

2 comments:

roxx said...

Your last sentence sums up my comment. Yes, you are prejudiced, but it is also true that you know what you want. I never put salt on dishes, because I gave up salt a long time ago, and though I admit that some things are much tastier with a pinch more salt on them, I will never even think of adding it. It is a habitual thing, I suppose.
So you judge people before getting to know them better. Who doesn't? Whether they act in a way that you approve of or you find them utterly boring, how much time do you need to spend with them to find out what they're really all about?

humanobserver said...

Interesting post :)