Monday, March 16, 2009

Radio dilemmas

When I came back from my study abroad semester in Russia, I realized how much I had missed Pandora. The interactive yet simple online radio offered me all the music I had forgotten and helped me find some new performers matching my taste. But now I find myself bored with Pandora's suggestions and actively looking for alternative music Web sites, streaming live radio stations and podcasts.

Most of my friends use Pandora or Last.fm for background music while studying, cleaning and yes, even partying. These Web sites are indeed an indispensable part of the student life I know. The opportunity to create personalized radio stations was immediately heralded with excitement and enthusiasm.

However, I recently realized that Pandora was somewhat limiting my music experience. I am already 99 percent familiar with the songs I listen to and even though I create new stations and mix play lists, I still end up listening to Silence by Delerium at least five times a day. I discussed this with a couple of friends, users of Pandora and Last.fm, and they admitted that they sometimes also feel limited to certain genres and musicians.

Naturally, one can go beyond these two Web pages to look for further music explorations. For instance, some great online tools are Songza, imeem and Musicovery. But will one ever feel the element of surprise the traditional radio can bring?

5 comments:

zarichinova said...

I miss pandora so much. Even though I knew most of the songs I enjoyed the combination. They used to select them better than last.fm. Just as if they knew my mood at the time. Why are they not available in Europe any more, what happened?

zarichinova said...

бтв много ми харесват промените в блога. особено снимката.

Magdalena said...

I don't think pandora was ever available in Europe? Was it?

Radwam se che ti hareswat promenite. I oste idwat! (obsebila sum se s photoshop naposleduk)

zarichinova said...

Don't know about europe, but it was certainly available in Bulgaria for like 2 years, and one day... it just disappeared. They were so cute writing those messages "We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S."

Anyway I think there's no difference between last.fm and pandora legally...

Jemila Abdulai said...

Lol, I love pandora!!! Listening to it right now