Friday, March 27, 2009

Plants may die but objects rise

My mother is crazy about houseplants. She buys them from flower shops and collects them from friends. She waters them regularly and uses them for decoration for every corner of our apartment in Varna. Every corner, except for my room.

Although I appreciate the beauty of houseplants, I cannot take good care of them. Even the cactus, which I bought for my mom and whose growth was under my supervision, died. I just give houseplants what they need the least. As a child, I tried bandaging the ficus in our living room. As a teenager, I put wine in the flower pot because someone had recommended it for the plant's growth. Finally, I started talking to them because I had read an article claiming that flowers needed attention. Nothing helped.


That is how I decided to stick to inanimate objects designed as nature's gifts. A chair in the shape of a leaf, a bench with the wings of a butterfly--I can handle this. Nature-themed furniture relaxes me and has the ability to survive despite my negligent care. Wood decorations, lotus flower candles and tree paintings bring me the same vibe of nature houseplants bring my mother. But then again, they don't bring the same feeling of comfort. No one will want to sit in my flat, wooden leaf chair.

No comments: