Friday, January 23, 2009

Hold On to the Rail

Tonight in Springfield was the second time I set my feet on an ice skating rink and tried to balance my body weight with zig-zag movements. The first time was in St. Petersburg after midnight. So, in your mind you are probably already begging me not to compare these two experiences. But I will, anyway.

I would lie if I said that I didn't have any expectations from ice skating in St. Petersburg. I paid the equivalent of $20 to rent skates and buy a ticket and had put the stakes high for the night. Dance music was playing loudly and I felt pumped up and ready to go. Until I fell once, twice, three times.

After a while, my friends and I concluded that this is an alternative club culture for the younger Russian crowd. Upbeat music, fresh outfit combinations, hidden alcohol in the lockers, flirty games and lots of awkward dance movements.

I would lie if I said that I didn't have any expectations from ice skating in Springfield. The cost for both the skates and the actual skating was less than $10 but the poor state of the lobby and broken bathrooms instantly lowered my anticipation to skate. The song "I believe I can fly" by R. Kelly well epitomized the DJ's interesting music choices. Although no one flied, people had fun falling down, throwing themselves at the transparent walls and holding on to the rail. Most charming, of course, were the youngest little guys wearing their black and yellow hockey outfits and racing around swiftly like bullets.

I guess what I tried to say with this comparison is that I am glad my first time ice skating was in Russia, and that it will be really beneficial for the Springfield ice skating rink to hire a new DJ.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ehhhhhh, it's Springfield, you can't expect much. If you get a chance, go skating at UMass - it's free for students and to rent it's $3 (with UMass ID, I think). But they don't check your ID for admission, so you can just go in and skate if you have your own skates.

I bet Russians have hidden alcohol everywhere. Also, there's a huge roller-dancing/roller-derby culture in Boston. You know, the 4-wheel '80s disco skates, doing crazy moves to crazy music. Some of the people really look like they're from the '80s.

humanobserver said...

Hope you had a nice experience there :)