Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Here Just For the Credit

"So, I don't want to do all of the talking myself today. I want to give you a chance to introduce yourself and say a couple of words about why you are taking this course," said my new professor teaching New Media Technologies and Social Change. "And don't be afraid to say you are here because you need the credit," she added with a smile.

My first communications classes for Spring semester began today in the University of Massachusetts (Umass), Amherst and confirmed my opinion about this school's culture. It consists of a rich selection of Communications courses, big classes, resourceful professors, and immature students.

Answers to my professor's requests varied from "Yeah, I am here for the credit," and "I am taking this class because it fits into my schedule," to "I saw the word 'media'" and, my personal favorite, "I want to do TV and stuff."

Naturally, every professor will want to receive a clear picture of her students' level and ambitions but to me this experience today was absolutely disillusioning. I am certain that there are people truly interested in the topics and materials for discussion, and would love to occupy one of the seats in the classroom. Moreover, they will make the most of it. I just regret that half of my class doesn't include such individuals but is interested in simply receiving their diplomas without applied knowledge to support these otherwise empty of meaning pieces of paper.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, UMass hate. State school. There are stereotypes about each of the 5 colleges in the area and I could say some pretty mean things about Mt. Holyoke and Hampshire, and, possibly, Smith. UMass is just too big to generalize it with words like "this school's culture", because the culture is very diverse. Using a single class - and a communications class at that - is not a good way to assess the ambitions and abilities of UMass students.

The reality is, everyone sees their own truth in their eyes. You will follow your own path, judging the "I like TV and stuff" guy and that guy will follow his Red-Sox-worshipping path, judging you as a nerdy Mt. Holyoke chick, but guess what - both of you will be happy in your own way, on your own level. Everybody's unique, just like everyone else.

Magdalena said...

I am judging about the school's culture based on more than one class plus my overall experience at Umass.

Anyway, I am not really attacking the school but just observing what is happening around me.

Piztachio said...

This kind of attitude can be frustrating indeed. I guess try to find the ones who share your genuine interest, as you said, surely there is someone out there. :)