Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Take a deep breath

I walked into the library hurriedly, took the stairs on the left and looked at the big clock in the reading room. It was 3:10 and I was late for work again. I continued skipping with a faster tempo and then it hit me. I felt the sweet fragrance of a familiar perfume.

I forgot that I was in a rush, late for work, or that I had to finish a comparative
essay by 5pm. I was frantically spinning in a circle to spot the source of this heavenly scent. Or rather - spinning in a circle in my mind to remember what this smell reminded me of. Was it the perfume glass bottle in light blue labels that I used the summer of 2005? No, I am sure it had a different fragrance. I used to be obsessed with it and applied it every time I went out at night.


My heart began racing in a whirlwind of emotions and memories. Was it the gentle odor of the fabric softener a friend from high school used? But I remember it so distinctly and I would have recognized it immediately! After all, we spent 5 years of high school together.

It is 3:15. Okay, okay - I think I got it. This reminds me of the air in the New York apartment I was staying at this January. Its mixed aroma of bath and beauty products, new furniture and coffee lingered quietly in all rooms. Nah, it wasn't that.

I looked at the clock again - 3:20.
"That's enough," I thought to myself and continued climbing a second staircase to get to my office. No, wait! Take a deep breath for the last time. The scent will be gone in a moment together with all those memories.

No comments: