Friday, March 28, 2008

Drifting Away

Spring break was over like a breathe of fresh air after entering the white elevator of an old library building. But my rambling thoughts are still bringing me back to the dear moments I spent with close friends from back home.
I left the college on Thursday evening after work and headed to New York with friends from school. Napping in the car and holding the hand of my best Brazilian friend, Amanda, I realized how much I have missed traveling. It was like something that I had subconsciously sought but hadn't pursued after Christmas break. Since I had embarked on most of my trips alone, I had completely forgotten how it felt to have a caring company sitting next to me and drinking from my apple juice box.

After we were dropped off at Grand Central, Amanda and I headed towards the closest Starbucks. Having faced a couple of unsuccessful attempts to find seats in a decent cafe, we decided to rest in front of the Museum at Bryant Park. At 9 p.m. with suitcases and backpacks on the ground and wind messing with our hair, we couldn't have felt any calmer. We just stayed there, not thinking about anything in particular and absorbing every sound and smell. The kind of feeling that you get from knowing that the world is breathing with you and it is okay to pause and enjoy its breathing.
Actually, we knew that what awaited us after this moment was going to be wonderful. Amanda was meeting her boyfriend from another state and I was meeting with friends from high school and my hometown, Varna. We looked at each other with smiling eyes, slowly picked up the bags and left the park.

1 comment:

RAJUN :) said...

OH! so you're from Varna! Wonderful...I still haven't made it out there yet. I'm sorry that I don't update my blog as much as I should....I have sporadic internet, and plus it's just a pain in the ass to try and upload pics here. Thanks for commenting and I hope that you, too are enjoying America!!!! :)