Monday, June 15, 2009

Twitter: Can You Be Popular But Not Mainstream?

I have always aimed at being popular but not mainstream. I want to be part of a growing conversation only when I can add a unique perspective to it. This goal of mine is becoming increasingly difficult with trending topics on Twitter.



Tonight, for instance, everyone is tweeting about the elections in Iran. Keywords #IranElection, Tehran and Iranians made it to the top ten trending topics. I logged on to Twitter and thought about how great that was. It instantly prompted me to get more educated in the issue and before I knew it I was reading BBC articles and simultaneously following the discussions on Twitter.

Election followers were giving their support for the Iranian protesters. They were advising one another to change hashtags not to be tracked by the Iranian government. I felt inspired by the togetherness of the international Internet community.

Half an hour later I looked at the Twitter discussion again. It consisted of the same tweets and, worse, same retweets. Actually, every other tweet was quoting what someone else had said. And then the thought occurred--I could so easily become part of this growing conversation. But I wouldn't add anything to it besides another link to a Boston.com photo or a BBC article. Suddenly, this felt so much like the trending topic about swine flu.

Online users want to feel connected and part of a conversation. I have no doubts about their good intentions to bring positive change. It still inspires me. Yet, as I couldn't see a genuine (and original) discussion about Iran take place, I tweeted my actual current activity--listening to Fun Lovin' Criminals.

No comments: